RIA Membership provides a number of benefits, helping you to navigate and succeed in the rail industry.
Representing Members Interests
It is important that the rail industry engages with Government and politicians to ensure rail is high up the political agenda. Trade associations allow businesses to come together and speak with one voice, providing greater clout and clarity when engaging with policy makers and influencers.
Our Public Affairs & PR function ensures that we are regularly in contact with key politicians involved in transport decision making. We regularly meet with Government Ministers, Parliamentarians, civil servants and devolved administration politicians to brief them on the key issues facing our membership - as well as promoting the good work of the vibrant and successful industry we represent.
We also represent members’ interests in our dealings with the major organisations that affect the success of the supply industry. We have extensive contact with Network Rail, Transport for London, the Rail Delivery Group and RSSB. RIA is an executive member of the Rail Supply Group, a joint council between Government and industry to drive growth in the rail supply chain, which complements the work of the industry’s Rail Delivery Group.
Find Out More
At RIA, we hold around 50 networking events a year, a number of which are exclusive to members. We hold regular briefings on key technical, policy and strategic issues in the industry as well as larger scale conferences and exhibitions. Our events are not only a good way to get up to speed with what is going on in the industry, but also great networking opportunities. Our key events include:
Find Out More
- RIA’s Annual Conference in the Autumn – this is a major event in the rail supply industry’s business and social calendar; we are always joined by several high-profile industry leaders.
- RIA’s Innovation Conference in the Spring – a two-day event with interactive, plenary and networking sessions, plus an exhibition; this always attracts high quality participants, from within the rail industry, academia and beyond.
- Unlocking Innovation Scheme (UIS) Workshops are held in different locations around the UK every six months or so; they are free to attend and open to non-members.
Keeping you informed
Individuals within member companies can subscribe to receive a selection of weekly email updates, providing timely, succinct information straight into your inbox. There is no limited on the number of individuals from a member company who can receive updates. Weekly mail outs include:
- The RIA Monday Mail: This includes a weekly overview with events information, Parliamentary news and opportunities and general updates on commercial and policy matters.
- Techtalk: This Friday mail out gives you more technically focused information including a standards digest, BSI News, Patents summary, Railway Group Standards and general updates on all technical matters.
- Exports Mail: This Wednesday Mail includes the Official Journal of the EU – a searchable document with European rail opportunities as well as a summary of world-wide exports opportunities, news and events notices.
- RIA Update: This quarterly publication provides more in-depth information about RIA’s recent activities. We regularly get contributing articles for industry leaders too.
RIA helps UK rail companies export across the world. We are the only fully accredited Department for International Trade (DIT) Trade Challenge Partner and in recent years have organised UK exhibitor groups in countries as diverse as Australia, China, Dubai, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Poland, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Turkey. We host trade missions and seminars to these and other countries. Our largest overseas activity is at the biennial InnoTrans event in Germany, at which we have organised a substantial UK presence. At each of these we promote members generally, as well as assisting those companies that take part through DIT.
Find out more
Interest Groups and Online Communities
Our Interest Groups provide a focus for discussion of key issues affecting particular groups of members and are regularly attended by relevant key guests from other industry bodies, offering valuable engagement and networking opportunities. We call members’ meetings to discuss emerging important issues as they arise.
There are exclusive online communities for each Interest Group where like-minded professionals in the rail industry can share best practice and exchange ideas. As a member of RIA you can belong to as many online communities as you wish, where you can discuss relevant issues with your peers, find new ways to improve the rail industry and make business connections. Groups include:
COMMERCIAL / POLICY
- Infrastructure Clients Interface Group (ICIG)
- Trains Clients Interface Group (TCIG)
- Consultants Group
- Electrification Commercial Group (ElecCom)
- SME Group
- Light Rail
- Public Affairs & Communications Network (PACN)
- Safety, Standards & Sustainability Group (SSSG)
- Information Management (IMG)
- Infrastructure Technical Interest Group (InfraTIG)
- Electrification Technical Interest Group (ElecTIG)
- Signalling & Telecoms Technical Interest Group (SigTIG)
- Traction & Rolling Stock Group (T&RS)
- Vehicle-Track Interface Group (VTI)
RIA Member Directory
Our member directory is not only available online for anyone to use, but is also shared at major events where RIA has a presence this includes. It’s a great opportunity to advertise your business and show that you are an organisation engaged in the wider industry.
Find the Directory here
A team of experts at your fingertips
The RIA team have a wealth of knowledge and experience, covering policy, technical, political and export areas. We are on hand to assist members and help them navigate the rail industry, whenever needed.
Find out about the RIA Team