An Introduction to RIA
The Railway Industry Association is the representative body for UK-based suppliers of equipment and services to the world-wide industry. It has around 170 member companies, active across the whole range of railway supply. That range is exceptionally diverse and includes many skills and resources which were previously part of the national railway undertaking but which now operate commercially in the private sector.
RIA members represent the greater part of the UK railway supply industry by turnover. Most large firms are members, as well as a wide range of smaller companies.
RIA provides its members with extensive services, including:
- provision of technical, commercial and political information every week
- representation of the supply industry's interests to Government, Network Rail and others
- providing opportunities for dialogue and networking between members, including a number of Special Interest Groups
- supply chain improvement initiatives
- export promotional activity, through briefings, visits overseas, hosting inwards visits
- and organising UK presence at exhibitions overseas.
A summary of current RIA activities can be found in the RIA Update newsletter.